Thursday, June 3, 2010

Relax, Relate, Release...

Relax - I never realized the true benefits of relaxing until recently. I went to the beach all by myself. I felt as if I was going on a mission and the mission was to unwind and regain my sanity from the insanely busy lifestyle I live. Locale, Virginia Beach! I arrived at the beach fully prepared. I went through my mental checklist, beach chair, check, umbrella, check, lunch box, check, sunscreen, check, beach read, check, notepad and pen, check, no kids, super check! I fed the meter and took off toward Mr. Neptune. When I got on the sand I noticed that there were miles of shoreline, but the shoreline was packed with human bodies. I scanned the area for a spot that I could settle in. I took off my clothes that covered my bathing suit. I sprayed on my sunscreen, sat back, exhaled and embraced my view. Oh it was so beautiful. This was living. Somehow I managed to jump into a land where problems no longer existed. I didn't have to think about what I was cooking for dinner, when was this bill due, what am I going to do with the children, etc. It was just me and the ocean. Despite the fact that it was Memorial day weekend, I was the only person inhabiting this space.

Relate - After the "ahhhhhhhh" factor I began to analyze, as I so often do, my surroundings. I looked around and saw mothers playing with toddlers, family units burying themselves in the scorching sand, young teens laughing and giggling as the ocean waves slapped them in their faces. I began to see that there was a common thread between all of us. We all had different faces, body types, skin colors, hairstyles, socioeconomic statuses, but we all just wanted to have fun and relax. We all came to become one with this beautiful body of water that seemed to personify and speak to our very souls. It brought back the point that at the end of the day we are all human and at the core of everything, we all just want the same thing, the implanted "American Dream".

Release - Coming to the end of my brief trip to my personal oasis I began to realize that things were going to be ok. I realized that no matter what I was currently going through, somehow, things would work out. I was able to release all of my stress and focus on the important things of life. I wasn't boggled down with my home environment or the problems that awaited my return. I was at peace.

When I returned home I was a much happier mom. My coworkers could not understand my radiant glow nor my overly hyper personality. I was revved up and raring to go! Who knows if it was the warmth of the sun on my face, the wind that kissed my cheeks ever so slightly, or the water that cooled me down and spoke to me all at once. Who cares? The point is that vacations have a definite positive psychological affect. I understand now why people actually invest in this; for investing in vacation is liken to insured security of sanity. Everyone needs one at some point and it should be a regular event. Of course it takes money, but plans can be modified so that you capture the essence of why you went in the first place...to relax, relate, and release! Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment